Thursday, October 2, 2008

War on [Insert Cause here]

A more lighthearted quote from Reagan (not that his Diaries are particularly known for their... in-depth analysis).. mostly 'cause it's a terribly awesome movie (and they're making it into a musical. amazing.) Set-up: they're at Camp David in Maryland.

Saturday, February 14 [1981]
Slept in -took a morning walk then spent the afternoon with desk work. We had both sneaked out & bought valentines for each other & believe it or not we did surprise each other. Ran a movie & had Dan Ruge & the others who have to go with us over for it. It was a comedy (Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton & Lilli Tomlin) "Nine To Five." Funny- but one scene made me mad. A truly funny scene if the 3 gals had played getting drunk but no they had to get stoned on pot. It was an endorsement of Pot smoking for any young person who sees the picture.
Basically I love this quote because of the famous /infamous (depending on the viewpoint) 'Just Say No' program that Nancy championed during her husband's presidency. The program is the main reason behind her frequent trips away from the White House - all of which result in President Reagan oftentimes commenting on his missing of her (even if it's been just a few hours). It shows just how much the two agreed in their politics and the depth to which their beliefs affected them. Here's the actual scene he's referring to:


Honestly, I'd be more concerned with the discussion of the gun, that Dolly's character clearly has no idea how to use, & gun control policy, if I were to get offended by anything. But then again I don't exactly agree with Mr. Reagan on a lot of issues...

Either way, since I started this comment with the War on Drugs, I thought I'd include Nancy's famed appearance on Diff'rent Strokes as well. All I know is... Nancy really succeeded in her campaign because none of my fellow 10 year olds were as hard into drugs as these kids when I got that old.


No comments: