Friday, October 3, 2008

Reagan Quote

Thursday, April 18, 1985
"Another backbreaker. The press continues to chew away on the German trip & my supposed insensitivity in visiting a W.W.II German mil. cemetery in spite of the fact I'm going to visit a Concentration camp. They are really sucking blood & finding every person of Jewish faith they can who will denounce me" (316).

Wednesday, April 24, 1985
"Every day seems to begin with latest press- muck raking over whether I should or shouldn't go to the Bitberg cemetery in Germany. Well d--n their hides I think its morally right to go and I'm going"(318).


I found this to be a great example of Ronald Reagan acting in the way that he feels is correct and pushing aside those people (the press) who disagree with him. In just glancing through his diaries it can be seen just how strong his moral convictions were and the role they played in his decision making. I think this is a good thing, to have a strong, convicted president at a time where the Cold War is nearing its end but at the same time it can and did lead to trouble for Reagan in making ill-advised decisions and creating enemies for himself both abroad and at home especially in Congress. Yet, I think for him to act upon his own convictions is a sign of a strong leader who is going to attempt to do what is best and in this case it is to visit the Bitberg cemetery.

No comments: