Thursday, October 2, 2008

Eleanor Roosevelt Quote

"I carried [the revolver] religiously and during the summer I asked a friend, a man who had been one of Franklin's bodyguards in New York State, to give me some practice in target shooting so that if the need arose I would know how to use a gun. After considerable practice, I finally learned to hit a target. I would never have used it one a human being, but I thought I ought to know how to handle a revolver if I have to have one in my possession." (pg. 176-177)

This passage stood out to me because I never would have pictured any First Lady carrying a revolver. These lines further illustrate Eleanor's innate strength and independence. Not only was she free-willed enough to refuse a personal guard, but when asked to carry a gun for her own protection, she went the full mile and learned how to shoot it efficiently. The whole situation proves how dedicated Eleanor was in every aspect of her life. She never just did the minimum, but always put all her care and effort into whatever she was asked to do.

No comments: