Thursday, October 2, 2008

Reagan Quote

“I focused on the tile ceiling and prayed. But realized I couldn’t ask for Gods help where at the same time I felt hatred for the mixed up young man who had shot me. Isn’t that the meaning of the lost sheep? We are all Gods children & therefore equally beloved by him. I began to pray for his soul and that he would find his way back to the fold.” Reagan continues to conclude his entry for this day with the following statement: “Whatever Happens now I owe my life to God and will try to serve him in every way I can.”

Ronald Regan – March 30, 1981

This excerpt is from the Reagan Diaries on the day of his attempted assassination and describes his thoughts when he is in the hospital. It illuminates his underlying religious ideology that coincides with the rise of the Christian right during his presidency. There are parallels between Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush on these same religious grounds.

No comments: